Do you have compassion and a passion to help others? Transforming healthcare and millions of lives as a result starts with the values you embrace and the passion you bring to achieve your life’s best work.(sm)
Under general supervision of the Director of Clinical Pharmacy or designee, the Clinical Pharmacist is responsible for performing comprehensive and targeted medication management in selected patients to identify, resolve, and prevent medication-related problems. The Clinical Pharmacist documents the care delivered and communicates essential information to the patient’s primary care providers as well as any other pertinent health care team members. The Clinical Pharmacist is also focused on achieving optimal use of medications, emphasizing dosing, monitoring, identification of adverse effects, and economic efficiency to achieve optimal patient outcomes.
- Conduct comprehensive medication reviews for select patient population and collaborate with prescribers and other members of the care team to resolve identified medicationrelated problems
- Assist with oversight of medication management activities in employed clinics across the enterprise, in collaboration with the market nurse leadership, to meet state and federal regulations
- Provide clinical recommendations, in alignment with evidence based guidelines, pertaining to, but not limited to, gaps in care, high risk medications, compliance and adherence, drug interactions, therapeutic substitution, and generic substitution to both patients and/or providers
- Assist with the development of Clinical Practice Guidelines
- Conduct comprehensive review of new drugs or new indications for new drugs, and present findings to applicable organizational committees
- Perform periodic drug use evaluation (DUE) to ensure appropriate use of medications
- Research new prescription drugs or new applications of existing drugs and develops drug use guidelines, and communicate findings to providers
- Utilize health plan’s formulary information to guide appropriate medication recommendations and when necessary recommends alternate prescription fill strategies (i.e. retail vs. mail order) aimed at increasing adherence
- Utilizes available prescription/medical data and clinical judgement to perform comprehensive medication reviews, retrospective Drug Utilization Review (DUR) and ongoing medication treatments plans for patients/providers aimed at optimizing health and reducing overall cost burden to the health system
- Knowledgeable of current and emerging clinical trends
- Active participation in various clinical departmental meetings and forums to improve clinical programs, enhance processes, and share clinical information
- Assist with user acceptance testing for new clinical programs and system enhancements
- Serves as a clinical resource and consultant in all areas of pharmacy and medication management for members, patients, providers, internal departments and/or external third parties
- Performs all other related duties as assigned to meet departmental objectives including but not limited to review of specialty drug prior authorization requests
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Doctor of Pharmacy degree
- Current Pharmacist license to practice in the applicable state or the ability to provide proof of licensure within 90 days from date of employment
- 2+ years of experience as a clinical pharmacist OR a residency in Pharmacy
- Full COVID-19 vaccination is an essential job function of this role. Candidates located in states that mandate COVID-19 booster doses must also comply with those state requirements. UnitedHealth Group will adhere to all federal, state and local regulations as well as all client requirements and will obtain necessary proof of vaccination, and boosters when applicable, prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation
- Board certification by the Board of Pharmacy Specialties (BPS)
- Certified Geriatric Pharmacist
- Certification in Medication Therapy Management (MTM)
- Experience with Medicare guidelines
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent relationship building skills
- Planning and organizational skills to demonstrate leadership and initiative
- Solid interpersonal skills. Ability to work independently, as well as a member of a team
- Solid analytical and PC operation skills
Physical & Mental Requirements:
- Ability to sit for extended periods of time
- Ability to receive and comprehend instructions verbally and/or in writing
- Ability to use logical reasoning for simple and complex problem solving
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles and locations require full COVID-19 vaccination, including boosters, as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment
Careers with WellMed. Our focus is simple. We're innovators in preventative health care, striving to change the face of health care for seniors. We're impacting 550,000+ lives, primarily Medicare eligible seniors in Texas and Florida, through primary and multi-specialty clinics, and contracted medical management services. We've joined Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of companies, and our mission is to help the sick become well and to help patients understand and control their health in a lifelong effort at wellness. Our providers and staff are selected for their dedication and focus on preventative, proactive care. For you, that means one incredible team and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
WellMed was founded in 1990 with a vision of being a physician-led company that could change the face of healthcare delivery for seniors. Through the WellMed Care Model, we specialize in helping our patients stay healthy by providing the care they need from doctors who care about them. We partner with multiple Medicare Advantage health plans in Texas and Florida and look forward to continuing growth.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: OptumCare is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employers and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
OptumCare is a drug-free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.